- Honey: One of the most useful natural substances, honey, has been used for centuries as a natural preservative along with many other uses. If it is added to lotions, creams and scrubs, it not only increases the shell life of that product but also works as a natural moisturizer.
- Neem Oil: It is one of useful and powerful oils available in the market. It has been used since before the modern medical era. It is and anti bacterial, anti fungal anti protozoan as well as spermicidal.
- Essential Oils: Some of them have outstanding antibacterial characteristics, for instance lavender and sandalwood have superb antibacterial properties while tea-tree is known to be anti-fungal.
- Jojoba: The oil is used in numerous scrubs and creams as a base ingredient. It also increases the life of the products because it incorporates anti-oxidant property.
- Potassium Sorbate: It is a natural fatty acid and is very effective against yeast, aerophile bacteria and molds. It is sometimes used in conjunction with other preservatives.
- Extract from Grapefruit or Citrus: The seeds of the grapefruit contain compounds that are antimicrobial (anti bacterial). They are great preservatives as they can successfully stop a large spectrum of bacteria.
- Vitamin E: It is used by many companies due to its anti oxidation properties; and is very easy to use as it is readily available in capsule-form as a supplement. These capsules are soluble to get vitamin E out when digested.
- Sodium Chloride: It is a natural salt found in nature. It has been used as a preservative, especially for meat, since ancient times. It draws out the moisture from the product and creates an environment that is inhospitable for bacteria!