- Educate yourself on proper hair-care. Buy relevant books, follow expert blogs and YouTubers, etc. However, if you are dealing with hair loss or thinning, make sure to consult a dermatologist at the first sign. Also, choose your hairstylist carefully. A good hair stylist will educate you on what they are doing to your hair and how to properly care for it.
- Limit the use of Heat. The everyday use of heat appliances like curling irons and flat irons can lead to dried out hair. If your hair is severely damaged, then try not to use a lot of heat on the hair (if possible totally avoid it). This includes hot water, flat irons, hot curling irons, or hot blow dryers. How about going back to Roller Setting your hair? But instead of using the hair dryer – allow it to air dry.
- Prevent over-processing. For touch-ups, apply relaxer to new growth only. To prevent breakage go no longer than three months between touch-ups.
- Do regular treatments. Regular scalp massages and hot oil treatments can be effective to combat dryness and to stimulate hair follicles for regrowth. Also, do an intensive treatment once per week. Tip: Mix a Vitamin-Fortified Conditioner with a natural oil like Jamaican Black Castor oil or organic coconut oil for a deep conditioning treatment. Leave in for 15-20 minutes, then rinse and style as usual.
- Trim ends regularly. You should get a trim every six to eight weeks to prevent split ends.
- Rinse properly. Be sure to thoroughly wash your hair, as build up can leave a film and rob sheen.
- Handle wet hair with care. Use a wide tooth comb to de-tangle hair, starting from the ends up to the roots.