Temporary methods are great for those who don’t mind having straight hair for only a limited time. The temporary hair straightening method is done by using a really good straightening balm, straightening irons (also known as flat irons) or a blow dryer and a round brush. With this method your curls will come back instantly if your hair gets wet, and it will not work effectively on extremely curly hair. It is a very cheap method, so if you have wavy or light curly hair, and don’t want to spend a lot of money, might be the right method for you.
Temporary hair straightening side effects:
- The heat can lead to excessive dryness and brittleness
- It can cause loss of natural shine and split ends
Permanent methods are best for those who feel like they can not live with their curls on a day to day basis. Permanent hair straightening is done by using chemical treatments that permanently removes your curls. This is an excellent method for those that have extremely curly hair. There are different types of permanent hair straightening, and it can be quite expensive depending on what kind of technique you choose.
Permanent hair straightening techniques:
- Chemically straightening (hair relaxing treatment)
- Keratin treatment (the Brazillian straightening treatment)
- Japanese straightening (thermal reconditioning)
Permanent hair straightening side effects:
- You have to repeat the technique to retain the look
- The root of the hair will be curly while growing out and the rest will be straight
- Excessive dryness and brittleness
- It can damage the hair texture It can cause hair fall, loss of natural shine and split ends
- It can cause an itchy scalp and dandruff
What to keep in mind before straightening your hair out.
- Some of the permanent methods don’t mix at all with colored or bleached hair, so it is very important that you let your hairdresser know every treatment you have had done.
- Make sure you go to a hairdresser that has a good reputation and that is experienced when it comes to hair straightening. Inexperienced hairdressers might damage your hair by giving you too much chemicals.
- Never ever attempt to try permanent treatments on your hair at home. It’s best to let professionals do it so you avoid damaging your hair.
- Having your hair straightened too often can lead to dry and damaged hair.
- It can be expensive. Not only do you pay for the treatment, but you also have to pay for the after treatment. To make sure your hair stays straight you will have to spend extra money for special shampoos, conditioners, leave in conditioners and other hair treatments.